Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What do you see?

What exactly do you see here? Before you read on, just stop and slowly take a look at the picture that is attached.

What do you see? A fireplace? An old building? Rocks? Wood? What do you see. Just tag along for a few minutes and we will return to this question.

My wife has asked me on many occasions whether my writings inspire my photography or my photography inspire my writings. The truth is that there are times that I will take a photo and it will cause that quirky little gear in my head to begin to churn and suddenly there is this crazy thought for a blog. Then there are other times that I will think about something that I want to write about and then I will go through some of my favorite photos and see if any of them tie to what I am wanting to write about. If not, I grab my camera and away I go, looking for that photo that expresses what I want to write about. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Today the photo inspired the blog. I have recently began to go through my numerous photos and to eliminate a lot that just need to be deleted. In the process I have come across a lot of photos that I had forgotten about and some that I had never even looked at. This is one that I had forgotten about. I have a good friend that I have known for twenty years and we will occasionally go and find those little out of the way places that you can stumble across interesting photos. This particular one is the inside of an old abandoned log cabin in a little community just north of Comanche, Texas.

I am not sure what you saw when you looked earlier, but look again. There just above the fireplace. Do you see his face. Who is this person? Is it really a face? Is it a ghost of those who lived here long ago? Who really knows.

Our mind is a powerful instrument it can create and it can destroy. Take a look at this photo and just let your mind be creative. You never know what you might discover.

GW

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow...it does look like a face! Cue the Twilight Zone music now. What a great photo! Did you see the face there when you took it, or notice it afterwards? Sometimes I have taken a photo and find a little treasure later, like a bug nestled in the petals of a flower that I didn't notice through the viewfinder. I need to go out and find some decaying buildings! I love that kind of photography. As soon as we thaw out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had actually heard about this cabin from friends in the area. We were rather surprised by the clarity. It is actually much better in person than in the photo.

    GW

    ReplyDelete