Sunday, February 27, 2011

Korbin's Tree

Korbin's Tree
I had barely walked in from work on this beautiful Saturday afternoon when I had a four year old munchkin grabbing my leg and asking if we could pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease plant a tree.

Well I guess the day is here that I had been waiting for. My wife and I had decided long before we ever had grandchilren that we would like to plant trees for each grandchild. When our first and so far only grandchild was born back in August of 2006, we began to again talk about that tree. We debated on whether to plant one at the time or to wait until our grandchild was old enough to help plant their own tree. As you can tell, we decided to wait until they could help.

That is where Korbin comes into the picture. He is a fiesty full of energy four year old boy that is 100 percent boy through and through. He loves anything to do with trucks, cars, balls, and you guessed it, dirt. His father and him were over at our house recently and the tree issue was brought up again and Korbin got very excited about getting to plant a tree. Of course it was about eight o'clock at night so we told him that when he was over some Saturday that we would plant it. That brings us to yesterday. My wife had told my son and his wife that she would watch Korbin because they were both busy with work and a trip, so she had Korbin since early Saturday morning. By the time I drug in at almost four o'clock, JeaBee was ready for a break. I am still not sure if she put him up to it or if he just remembered, but the minute I hit the door, he was talking about planting our tree.

So we loaded up in Granddaddy's old pickup and we were off to town to find a tree. We had decided long ago that we wanted Korbin's tree to be a pecan tree because we do not have one and we wanted it to reflect Texas. We found ourselves at a small local nursery where everybody knows everybody and we told the gentleman what we were up to, so he helped us pick out a Choctaw Pecan Tree. With tree in hand we were now well on our way. When we returned home, we raided my shed for all of the necessary tools to complete the task. Korbin with his little shovel and Granddaddy with his sharpshooter, we began to dig this hole. I really thought that he would grow tired of this and wander off to go play, but he stayed extremely focused and insisted on not only helping to dig the hole but to also fill in back in when it was time. So there we were two little boys out digging a hole on the back corner of the yard to plant a tree that would forever tie the two of us together. My wife came out to check on us and Korbin told her that this was Korbin and Granddaddy's tree and that we were going to watch it grow and that one day we would be able to climb on it. He clearly had grand allusions about what this tree would be, but that is ok, so did I. With the tree finally planted the tools put away, Korbin went in to get his Saturday night bath at JeaBee's house and Granddaddy went to get his camera.

The photos are not spectacular, and for now, niether is the tree but one day I believe that it will be. A memory was created today that will always be there. For years to come, even after I am gone, Korbin will be able to look at that tree and say "I remember the day that me and Granddaddy planted that tree". I know I will always look at it and remember that day.

2 comments:

  1. that is precious...it made me tear up... I love you two 'little boys'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story. I love it! Creating memories together is what it's all about. I remember growing up at my grandparent's, having many a crawfish boil under the 100 year old pecan tree. I don't know who planted it, but I'm glad they did.

    ReplyDelete