Friday, April 29, 2011

Can't You Hear It?


Can't You Hear It?
 Can you feel it? There is change in the air. Stop for just a moment and listen. Do you hear it? It is the slow ticking of time as the world around us changes. It is so subtle that you do not even realize it until it is too late. You look up and the hand has turned.

Yesterday I was a child running freely through the hills where I was raised. Today? Today those hills are just a distant memory.

Today I am no longer a child. Today I am far removed from those carefree days. Today I am just tired. Today I want to stop and enjoy the life that I know is out there.

The problem is that life is just like the merry-go-round that we used to play on as children. At first you spend all of your energy trying to get it to go faster and faster and faster and before you know it, you have succeeded. That is the exciting and the scary part of life. We lean back as the forces pull us outward and we feel our grips tighten trying desperately to hang on. Everything around us is just a blur, shapes and images come together as unrecognizable images. We drown out the voices telling us to not go so fast and now we are desparately hanging on for dear life just wondering if we will lose our grip and be slung aside or if we will just have to endure until of it's own accord the merry-go-round slows back down to the point that things are no longer blurred and it is just a slow peaceful ride.

Today I am just tired. The day is fading and I find myself looking for a quiet place. The quiet however is drowned out by the constant ticking that I hear. Maybe it is only in my mind, but I can hear it, very steady, tick      tick      tick      tick      tick................ Can't you hear it? 

1 comment:

  1. I felt as you do for a time. Life ebbs and flows that way; for me, anyway. Sounds like you desperately need some down time and a hobby to focus on that brings you joy, a sense of fulfillment, and peace. For me it used to be tennis. I was obsessed with it, thinking about it all the time, trying to get better and better. Then I couldn't play anymore due to physical and emotional issues. During a 5 year period I had 3 jobs--2 part time and 1 full time. Talk about busy and tired! But my daughter needed help to get through college and I had 2 boys that were always in trouble.

    Three years ago I stopped the madness and decided that having extra money wasn't worth it. I discovered photography and I haven't looked back.

    Take time for yourself. Go on a long walk, take pictures, enjoy God's creation. Maybe you just have some of the winter blues hanging on. You love the hot weather and well, here it is! :) Sometimes you just have to say to heck with other things. Unless there are some serious, pressing issues that are difficult to escape from. I'll pray for you.

    Sorry, didn't mean to ramble. Take care.

    ReplyDelete