Wednesday, January 12, 2011

It's Cold Outside

It is cold outside. The winter that I have looked upon with dread has finally arrived here in Texas.

Of all of the seasons, Winter is probalbly my least favorite. That does not mean that I hate winter it just means that in a four horse race it finished fourth.

I love the hot weather so much better. If the temperature gets below 80 degrees, I begin to get cold. So you can imagine how I felt the last two mornings when the temperature actually got down to the upper teens. I am sure that the people up north would look at that statement and say "what a pansy". I would however encourage those same people to come help me mow my yard this summer when it is 110 degrees in the shade and I am enjoying my warm weather.

Summer is a clear winner in the race for favorite seasons with Spring and Fall in a dead heat for second. In the Spring it wins out over Fall but in the Fall it jumps back ahead of Spring. I really like both of those seasons almost as much as I like Summer. Winter has placed itself with a death grip on the last and final place in my seasons favorite category. Like a cold icy hand frozen in place it will never relinquish that position.

With all of that being said, I would like to clarify, I do not hate the winter, it is simply my least favorite. If I would allow myself to be honest, there are actually things about Winter that I like. Come along as I remind myself of the things that I like about Winter so that I might endure until the Spring arrives.

I like that first really cold blast of air when you say to yourself that Winter has finally arrived.

I like the feel of a really cold brisk morning when the sun is rising and trying to overpower the cold but fails.

I like the feeling of snow as it lands upon my face when I look to the sky.

I like the sound of sleet falling in the cold quiet of winter. It has such a soothing rythmic sound.

I like to see the fresh fallen snow as it transforms the gray and desolate world that winter has created.

I like to see a childs face as he explores the excitement of the new fallen snow.

I like to see the things that are revealed when the leaves are gone from the trees and bushes.

I like the fact that every day of Winter brings me one day closer to Spring.

I like the thought that this too shall pass.

So you see, I really don't hate Winter. Actually, without Winter I would never look forward to the Spring which makes me look forward to Summer which makes me look forward to Fall which inevitably brings me back to Winter.

So with that in mind, let me get my coat because after all, It's cold outside.

Feel free to share with me the things that you like about Winter.

GW

2 comments:

  1. I love snuggling up to keep warm.

    I love wearing gloves {and scarves!}

    I love hot chocolate with marshmellows.

    I love getting under the blankets with my space heaters...I mean puppies.

    I love being able to see my breath.

    But I hate being cold...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love winter! I know some people hate it, but I live in Texas where the summers are BRUTAL! The things I love about winter are:

    -You can walk outside without suffocating
    -Winter clothes
    -Snuggling up by a fire with a good book
    -Hot chai latte or hot chocolate
    -No sweating
    -The holidays

    I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete